Friday 14 February 2014

ZZZZZYYYYYYXXXX

Natural Treatments for Dry Hair

Crazy, dry hair anyone?

I like to blame my genes ... my great-granny's hair was a wiry wildness just like mine! ... but I know an awful lot of my problems with dry, frizzy hair are my own fault.

My hair's never going to be super thick and glossy but I know if I look after it, it could be so much better.

And when I say look after it,  I don't mean throw money at fancy shampoos & products!

The last time I was at the hairdressers, I completely fell for the sales pitch for some silly expensive stuff ... did it work?


Did it, heck as like!! It just brought me out in a rash!

It drives me crazy every time I open the bathroom cupboard and see that shampoo. I can't possibly use it, but it cost so much I can't bring myself to tip it away ... grr!

But if nothing else, it has at least got me thinking about what I put on my hair and how I can get it into better condition without tipping dodgy chemicals all over it.


Natural Treatments for Dry Hair


So I've been collecting tips on natural treatments for dry hair.

The changes I've made so far ... my diet & my hair brush ... have really helped.

I've cut down on coffee & alcohol ... which crept right up over December ... and I've been munching loads of nuts and seeds and tried to get plenty of oily fish.

My mum also helped me out with the treat of a Mason Pearson brush for Christmas.

They are not cheap but wow!, they really do tame crazy dry hair like mine ... even without hours of blow drying and straightening, I can get and keep my hair vaguely presentable.

Hurrah!!

And now I can't wait to try out a whole load of "kitchen" treatments.

I'm going to start simple with some warm olive oil and then work my way up through vinegar, honey, eggs, banana, avocado, beer, aloe vera ... the lot ... :-)

If you want to join me check out the natural treatment recipes below plus loads of tips on eating your hair healthy ... and if you've got your own tips for fab hair do link them up below.


Treat Hair Naturally


  • Hot oil ... warm 2 tablespoons of oil, work through hair (not scalp), leave for 30 mins, shampoo and rinse ... all of the following oils can help ...
    • Olive oil
    • Coconut oil
    • Jojoba oil
    • Almond oil
    • Combinations of above
  • Honey ... mix 1/2 cup (125ml) of honey with tablespoon of olive oil, work through clean damp hair, leave for 20 minutes and then rinse well
  • Vinegar ... spray on solution of 1/2 cup of vinegar & 2 cups of water after shampoo, massage into hair & scalp, leave for a few minutes and then rinse lightly
  • Egg ... whisk 1 egg and 1 cup of yoghurt, work through dry hair, leave on for 30 minutes under shower cap or cling film, then shampoo as normal
  • Oil, vinegar & egg ... go for the double whammy with 2 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of olive oil & 1 teaspoon of vinegar whisked together, applied to dry hair & left for 30 minutes before shampoo 
  • Banana ... blend 1 ripe banana & 1 tablespoon of honey ... apply to dry hair, leave for 30 minutes and then shampoo
  • Avocado ... blend 1 avocado, 1 ripe banana & 1 tablespoon of olive oil to dry hair, leave for 30 minutes and shampoo
  • Avocado & egg .. blend 1 avocado, 1 egg & 1 tablespoon of olive oil, apply to dry hair, leave for 30 minutes & then shampoo
  • Aloe vera ... apply quarter of a cup of aloe vera gel & 1 teaspoon of olive oil after shampoo ... leave for a few minutes and rinse well
  • Beer ... boil a small can of beer ... one without lots of chemicals ... to reduce the alcohol and then apply as a rinse after shampooing, rinse again with water


Eat Your Hair Healthy


  • Drink lots of water
  • Eat plenty of:
    • silica rich food e.g. cucumber, celery, peppers, carrots, tomatoes
    • biotin (vitamin B7) rich food e.g. swiss chard, carrots, almonds, walnuts, eggs 
    • oily fish e.g. salmon
    • nuts ... particularly walnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, pecans & almonds
    • omega 3 rich eggs
    • flax seeds that help skin & hair retain moisture
    • healthy protein e.g. from fish, eggs, nuts, quinoa, lean meat
  • Cut down on caffeine - it inhibits absorption of key vitamins & minerals



Hair Care


  • Dry naturally whenever you can
  • Avoid styling whilst drying
  • Cut down on hair colouring
  • Trim regularly
  • Use a boar bristle brush e.g. from Mason Pearson
  • Avoid shampoos & conditioners with lots of chemicals


If you enjoyed this post follow my Mommy Time board on Pinterest ...


Follow Mums make lists ...'s board Mommy Time! on Pinterest.



Original image source

More Tips for Beautiful Hair


No comments:

Post a Comment